Sunday, 15 March 2009

Squash and Surf !


“Time flies when having fun!”


 This phrase has probably never been as appropriate for my life as right now. Pretty much every day is filled with new and exciting opportunities so you don´t really have the time to get bored… Or at least I don´t :) ... Gosh, I love Australia!

To begin with I have started playing squash down here, which is great! I even found a club, Norwood Squash, which is only 10 minutes bike ride away from Kent Town (where I live). Although, I must admit that I was a bit disappointed about the standard of the squash here in Adelaide as there are not very many active clubs and the few players I´ve met are either “soon to become senior citizens” or just not that good. Perhaps I have been coming at the wrong hours or something but so far I have almost only seen “veteran” players…

However, they do have more active squash club pennants here in South Australia then in Denmark or Iceland. They use a ranking system called Squash Matrix.com where every player is registered and records kept of all their games during the season. There is played in 4. Divisions, which are called State 1, 2, 3 and 4 where, state 1 is the elite division and there are 4 female players per team. My club has a team in all divisions so I went to try out for one of them last Saturday with good results. They seem to think I might have some potential so they have put me as player nr 1. in their team in 2. division and as a reserve player for the elite division team!  So I am very excited about that and it means I will get to play matches 1-2x a week from now on J And additionally I will be taking some private coaching lessons to try to improve my tactics and skills… So hopefully I will return home as a better and improved player ;) 

But the big question is of course: Will my knee be able to keep up? Because of that I have also been spending some time at the fitness centre to keep the muscles around the knee strong and trying to prevent further injuries.

Yesterday I tried surfing for the first time !!  That was SO COOL and definitely something I have to try again! I really understand now why so many people chose to bend their lifestyle around surfing. You just feel so free there surfing on the waves (or at least I am one step closer to imagining how that feels now;)) The weather was very windy though and the current strong so it was quite difficult to paddle against the waves, but totally worth it when you finally caught a good wave to surf with. Before you begin assuming I am a natural born surfer, I have to admit I only managed to stand up properly once and was just very lucky that Annette caught exactly that glory moment on picture!  Had many rides where I either just lied on the board or was on my knees. But still, I guess that’s a start ;)

    

The university started 2 weeks ago and I am on my way into week 3 now. I have to admit that I have not been spending much time studying so far, but at least the lectures and tutorials seem exciting. The work load is a bit heavier here than at ASB as there are many projects and assignments to hand in and they make you participate much more in the tutorials and lectures which I guess is good. The biggest problem is just that I still find my self deeply caught up in the holiday mode, so it is difficult to pick up the academic books when you can go and do soooooo many other things that seem more exciting. But with a little co-ordination and time management I should be just fine…

Like they say so frequently down here: NO WORRIES !  

The next thing on my travel agenda is already next Thursday. Me along with some other Danes and Germans have decided to take a long weekend and visit Tasmania, the home of the Danish crown princess, Mary. And who knows maybe we’ll see some Tasmanian devils… ;)

For now, over and out and remember….

NO WORRIES !

Finally a picture of the flat mates of room 132, Kent Town :)

3 comments:

  1. Góðar pósur á brettinu maður ha... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit Dagný, ertu ekki að grínast hvað ég öfunda þig mikið. Að lesa þetta e-mail fær mig til þess að rifja svo marga skemmtilega hluti upp frá Ástralíu að það liggur við að ég panti mér bara flug og komi til þín NÚNA!!!! Njóttu þess í botn að vera þarna, sakna þín böns... Vonandi á þér eftir að ganga betur að standa á brettinu, bíst við því að þú verðir orðin pró surfer þegar þú kemur heim sæta ;) kv. Freyja

    ReplyDelete
  3. jæja góða!!

    Nú eru liðnir 10 dagar frá síðasta bloggi. Þú ert ekki að standa þig nógu ve í þessum málum!!!!!

    Ég vil meiri ævintýri

    ReplyDelete